The top 5 reasons business leaders, CEOs, and Presidents of small and medium-sized business engage the help of an HR Consultant.
First, their business is growing. Clients have found that a growing business is a blessing and that it also needs to be fed with well-pinned people strategies to be effective. Growing from 5 employees to 15 employees, or from 44 employees to 64 employees impacts your people practices. Working with an HR Consultant can help ease the organization into that growth and help plan for future expansion.
Second, employees are asking more questions than the CEO can answer. If you're feeling slightly overwhelmed by the number or complexity of HR questions coming your way it might be time to get help. Putting in place an HR strategy or enhanced structure can be the best decision you make for your business. We know that when you're just starting out the CEO can be wearing many hats (CEO, HR Director, Payroll and VP of Sales). This is 100% normal but not sustainable or scalable.
Third, they ask themselves, am I doing this right? It's easy to feel moderately confident in your HR management skills when your business is small, but when the complexity of the team, people, culture and organizational structure grow, it's time to engage an HR Consultant. Besides, it's reassuring to have an external thought partner when you're leading a company.
Fourth, they are starting a new business. It's never too early to use an HR resource to help set up your people practices if you are starting or buying a business. If it's the later, it is a good idea to conduct an HR Audit to get a baseline of your newly purchased business (areas of strength, risk, and opportunity).
Fifth, they have received a claim of harassment or discrimination. This happens. Occasionally a very talented do-it-yourself business president calls because everything was going well with their small business staff until someone filed a complaint.
Start with an HR Audit:
Ever have these questions?
If you are wondering any of the following questions, contact us to learn more about how we can help your small or medium sized business.
- Are annual performance appraisals really dead?
- When should my SMB implement an employee handbook?
- How can I get a pulse or take the temperature of our workforce?
- Does my small business need an HR Audit?
- What type of employee engagement tools should we be using?
- What strategies should we take to attract great talent to our business?
- Is it time for a leadership retreat or off-site meeting?
- How do I conduct a leadership retreat or off-site meeting?
- What employment laws apply to my business?
- What type of training and development should I provide to my employees?